12 November 2010

split pea soup

With fall in the air and winter on it's way, I'm all into soups these days. I don't have a lot of experience with soups so I am trying out some new recipes. First up is split pea soup. I've only had it a couple times and never made it before. Chef Jeff is a fan, so I decided to give it a try. Can I tell you how EASY it was? Granted, it isn't the prettiest of soups, but it was tasty.

Ingredients
  • 1 lb split peas
  • 8 cups cold water (if you like a thicker soup, I'd use less)
  • 16 oz. chicken broth
  • 4 slices of bacon
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 large potato, finely chopped
  • 1 large carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
Directions
  1. Place peas, water, and broth in large soup pot.
  2. Stir in all remaining ingredients except salt and pepper.
  3. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce to low heat, cover and simmer 2 1/2 hrs.
  4. Remove and discard bay leaf.
  5. Place in food processor or blender and puree.
  6. Return to pot and season to taste with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...