18 March 2010

honey oat bread

As you may know, I've been experimenting with my bread recipe and came up with this variation. It turned out really well and I will be making it again for sure!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 cup wheat germ
  • 1 cup oat flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4cup oil
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
Directions
  1. Mix warm water, yeast, sugar, and honey
  2. Proof yeast
  3. Add salt, wheat germ, oat flour, whole wheat flour (just 1 cup)
  4. Mix well
  5. Add egg and oil
  6. Add oats and remaining whole wheat flour (gradually)
  7. Let rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour
  8. Sprinkle a bit of flour on a clean counter
  9. Divide dough in half
  10. Shape into 2 bread loves and place in bread pans
  11. Let rise another 30 minutes to 1 hour
  12. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes
I like to double the recipe and make 4 loaves, 1 for now and 3 in the freezer. I just place the individual loaves in a gallon size Ziploc bag.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Star! I love looking at both your blogs. I have a question- have you ever experimented with Rye flour? Made rye bread? I am cooking up some wheat berries in the crock pot like you said right now. . .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...