24 June 2010

Summer potato salad

Last night I made the "summer" version of Barbara Kingsolver's potato salad. I love the idea of potato salad that is not just potatoes, eggs, and mayo (although it certainly has its place).

Here's the link to all of the recipes from her book Animal Vegetable Miracle (which are worth checking out!). And here is the recipe for summer potato salad:

SUMMER
2 lbs red or golden new potatoes, cut in 1 inch chunks
3 tbsp olive oil
coarse salt
2 yellow or red bell peppers, cut in chunks
2 cups green beans (stringed and broken in 1-inch lengths)
1-2 ears sweet corn on cob

(*Note: I used canned corn and didn't use green beans because I don't have any fresh. The great thing about this salad is that you can just throw in whatever you have.)

Toss potatoes with salt and oil and spread on baking sheet. Roast in 450° oven until tender (20-30 minutes). Place ears of corn, lightly oiled, with the potatoes. Add peppers and green beans to roast for last 10 minutes. When done, loosen the vegetables with a spatula, cut corn kernels off cob, and combine in a large, shallow bowl.

2 cups tomatoes cut in wedges
½ cup fresh basil
¼ cup olive oil whipped together with 1 tbsp balsamic or other mellow vinegar
Toss tomatoes, basil and dressing with roasted vegetables, salt to taste.

(*The tomato and basil really make this a good salad. I wish I had fresh basil, but not yet; the dried kind worked well, but I can't wait to try it with fresh.)

(*Also, I served it warmish last night--just freshly made, and I'm eating it cold for lunch today. It's good both ways, but a little better warmer. I also just realized bacon would be really good in it. But then I'd have to remove the "meatless" label...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...