16 March 2010

Cabbage and Cheddar Gratin

Every St. Patrick's Day I try to make an Irish dinner and when I saw this recipe on Whole Foods Market website, I decided to include it this year. So I haven't made it yet, but plan to tomorrow, and thought I'd post it today in case any one else wants to make it for tomorrow.

1 1/4 c. shredded Australian cheddar, divided (I found this at Whole Foods)
3 c. (about 1/2 head) chopped green cabbage
3/4 c. vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 c. medium grind yellow cornmeal
3 T. chopped herbs such as thyme or dill or parsley
2 T. Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Set oven to 350 degrees.
Set aside 1/2 c. cheese.
Toss remaining ingredients in a bowl and transfer to a 8-in. square baking dish.
Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.
Uncover and top with reserved cheese and bake until golden brown. (10 minutes more)

I will serve this with corned beef
and Irish soda bread (which is delicious and I will try to post the recipe today).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...