03 February 2010

uh-oh bread!

It all started with an invitation to a friends house for Sunday dinner. "I'll bring rolls," I said. Later as I got ready to make them I realized that I didn't have enough whole wheat flour. It was stunned. How did I run out of flour? Hmmm... what can I do to improvise? We had a little white flour leftover from our son's birthday cake. OK, add that and see. Hmmm... it's still too sticky, what else can I do? Oatmeal! I ground up the oatmeal and used it as flour!

These turned out to be the best rolls I've ever made!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons yeast
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 2 ½ teaspoons salt
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup oil
  • 1 cup white flour
  • 1 cup oatmeal flour

Directions
  1. Mix warm water, yeast, and sugar
  2. Proof yeast
  3. Add salt and whole wheat flour
  4. Mix well
  5. Add egg and oil
  6. Gradually add remaining white and oatmeal flours a little at a time
  7. Let rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour
  8. Shape dough into desired shape (classic rolls, croissants, hamburger buns, etc.)
  9. Let rise another 30 minutes to 1 hour
  10. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes

2 comments:

  1. Gah! This has happened to me a million times! Good to know I can use some oats to save the day. Smart thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. star- you are consistently awesome- you clever thing you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...