24 September 2009

butternut squash bisque

OK, so moving has really put a damper on my posting here... that and the fact that we've been eating pretty creative/bad for you foods to use up what we have. Here is a soup that I love. I usually do it in the crock pot. I bake the butternut squash ahead of time, puree it, and keep in the freezer. I've also done it with our jack-o-lantern. It's a great fall soup!


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (optional)
  • 1 cup diced onion
  • 2 cups diced carrots
  • 1 or 2 butternut squash, roasted
  • 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock (Pacific brand is the best store bought brand I have found)
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • cayenne


Directions

  1. Roast the butternut squash like you would normally in the oven, when done, scoop out the flesh.
  2. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrots, saute for a few minutes.
  3. Pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
  4. In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture with the roasted butternut squash until smooth. Return to the pot and add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste. Heat through, but do not boil.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm sounds good but I'd have to eat it by myself. Maybe I'll make it when my (more vegetable-loving) parents come.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...