It took my son a little while to transition from the store-bought cereal to the homemade cereal. I had to tweak Ruth's recipe a bit. The first time I made it, it turned out too thick/rubbery. I added more water and it has worked really well.
How to Make Dry Rice Cereal
- Place 1/4 cup of rice in blender (I used my awesome Magic Bullet)
- Grind until very fine
- Boil 1 to 1 1/2 cups water (I do 1 1/2 cups)
- Add 1/4 cup dry rice cereal
- Stir constantly with whisk
- Change heat to low
- Cover pot and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning
- Divide into individual servings and store in refrigerator
- You can microwave each serving when needed
You can grind a lot of rice at once and store it in the refrigerator. The recipes yields 2 to 3 servings for my 6 month old. I just cook the cereal every 3 days.
Another method you can do is cook the rice just as you would for your family and then puree the cooked rice. I haven't tried this method, but it would work well if you are already making rice for dinner.
I like to add a cube or two of fruit to the cereal when I am ready to serve it to my son.