23 July 2009

grilled portobella mushrooms


I made some marinated and cheese filled portobella mushrooms. Unfortunately, I used too much cheese, but I somewhat knew this when I was making it. However, they turned out pretty good, and it is a good summer grilling treat!

Marinade:
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp onion, finely chopped
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
freshly ground pepper
freshly ground sea salt
1/4 c. olive oil

I used a plastic zipper bag and mixed it up. Then I placed my mushrooms in the bag and turned the bag to coat the mushrooms. I then let it sit for about an hour, turning it about 4 times. I probably had enough marinade for about 4 mushrooms, but I was just testing it.

I then grilled the mushrooms on our little propane camping grill. Since I was filling the underside with cheese, I grilled that side first. In order to keep the onion and garlic in the mushroom's cap, I used some aluminum foil to contain it. When I flipped them over I put the cheese into them.

One of them I filled with some type of romano cheese (I'm not sure of the type exactly because I got if from a friend before he moved). The other cheese uses the same mold as Roquefort, but instead of being made of sheep's milk, it is made from cow's milk. Two different cheeses, but both very tasty.

The mushroom with the blue cheese I made into a grilled portobella burger and the other I ate as-is. If I were to do this again, I would limit the amount of cheese I put on it, I was just trying to get rid of the cheese since it was getting a bit old.

Bon appetit,

Chef Jeff
(^8=3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...