Recipe from Betty Crocker: Baking for Today.
- 1 cup (whole wheat) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 egg, separated
- Heat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt
- Stir in milk, butter, and egg yolk until blended
- In a medium bowl, beat egg white with electric mixer on high until speed until stuff peaks form
- Fold flour mixture into egg white
- Pour 2/3 cup batter from cup or pitcher onto center of hot waffle iron and close lid
- Bake about 5 minutes or until steaming stops
- Repeat with remaining batter
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on the batter just after pouring it into the waffle iron. You can also make shapes or letters with the chocolate chips. I made a heart and a "J" for my honey!
- I also tried spreading some peanut butter on the waffles as well as syrup. It was DE-licious!