29 August 2009

homemade poptarts

I've been craving a poptart for a long while now and finally decided to try making them myself. It was pretty easy and quick. They taste really, really good! I had some issues with the dough being sticky, so if you have a pie crust recipe you like, I suggest you use that instead.

Ingredients

For Pie Crust
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons cold water
For Filling
  • 1/2 cup jam of your choice
For Glaze
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 3 ounces milk
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
  2. Combine flour and salt in large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse.
  3. Add water, 1 tablespoons at a time, gently mixing dough until dough forms a ball.
  4. Place dough on a floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide. Take 1 strip and place jam on one half and then fold the other half over the jam.
  5. Place poptart on a cookie sheet. Take a fork and press it into the dough all along the edges to seal the edges.
  6. Bake for 7-8 minutes.
  7. While poptarts are baking, make glaze.
  8. Once poptarts are sufficiently cool, top with glaze.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa. I didn't think I could get this impressed. I'm so trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those look yummy star, how'd they turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out really, really well. I liked them a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...